Total Pageviews

Thursday, September 23, 2010

"The Things They Carried"


I'm not sure if everyone has read this book, but Tim O'Brien came to mind while lugging my 50 lb suitcase, hiking backpack, vera duffel, and two HUGE purses over to our new place! Packing up and leaving Jessica House was such a relief. I couldn't wait to get out of the smokey, cat filled, dusty room that was our "home". I'm really not that picky of a person, I've lived outdoors for weeks at a time... traveled to Europe and back... moved about a bazillion times in my life... but for some reason, this place was just too much. It might have been due to the fact that the bathroom had cracked 1950's style black and white checked floor, or that the rug felt like sandpaper, or maybe it was simply due to our neighbors who painted us into our room for the day. I can attribute any of these reasons to why Patty and I have lugged all "The Things We Carried" over to our new residence on Carlisle Street!

I'm going to be honest. Carlisle Street is definitely what you call, "a fixer-upper". Yes, the ladies of the night do prowl around the street ouside our gates... and yes, we have had to kill a mouse... and yes, we did have to assemble our own bunk beds. BUT, I think we have now found our Australian "home". We have finally been able to unpack, after 3 weeks, and boy it feels good to be able to figure out what I'm wearing based on weather/mood/event rather than what is on top of my suitcase. I'm not a girly-girl, but seeing my pretty dresses hanging up nicely definitely gives me something to smile about. However, looking at all the (again, for lack of a better term) crap we brought I feel kind of silly. Who needs 6 different pairs of sleeping shorts? Or twelve pairs of shoes? Gosh, you would think I was moving to the moon for the rest of my life by the amount of stuff I brought. It just makes me think about the things we need and the things we can live without.

For example, my old highschool grey "Wooster" shirt... I could not live without. But, my j.crew flip flops? Toss them. The clutter that we find ourselves clinging too doesn't seem so important when you have to physically carry it around the world. Trust me... your shoulders, back, and legs will thank you if you leave those 10 pairs designer jeans at home. My dad and Scott don't know this yet, but when they come to visit, whoever gets here first... will be bringing back a 50 lb suitcase full of the things I have realized I can part with. It doesn't make sense for me to be carrying my weight in clothing... so to hell with it, I can wear a couple of things over and over again. I'm at the laundromat now aren't I? Washing machines were invented for a reason.

A lot of my friends have moved over the past year and a half. Some far away, and some a little bit of a jump instead of a leap. Either way, moving is hard and you always find yourself staring at piles of things you feel like you need... but in the long run, can leave behind. I'd like to give a shout out to a group of cute girls, my family, and one very frat-astic looking boy who made the frames I brought over. Those things, are definitely pieces that I will never be able to send back... or leave behind.

So let's jump to the metaphor that I'm getting at, all the worries and the problems that you have in your life... the day-to-day things, and the ones that have lasted longer than that. Let them go. You can only shoulder so much, and make sure that the things you all carry are beneficial and life long. Carrying things with you that are fleeting, and are only harmful is kind of unnecessary - don't you think?

Take a look around and let the pieces fall where they may, when push comes to shove you'll be left with the important things and lifelong people. Let those be the ones you worry about... let those be the ones you carry :)

Cross your fingers for warmer weather, less mice, cheaper beer, and new friendships - at least that's what I'm doing!

No comments:

Post a Comment