Total Pageviews

Monday, June 13, 2011

The Power of Positivity

So this may seem strange, a bit lame, or just a tad out there but I'm going to tell you all anyway...

It started last August, when I enrolled in a TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) class in Columbus, Ohio. I made the decision that for the last month in the US I was going to be working Monday - Friday and taking twenty hours of classes Saturday - Sunday. It was exhausting, hectic, and busy to say the least... but that class changed my outlook on so many things and I cannot say enough about it. The people I met through the course are some of the most interesting and incredible individuals that I have ever come across. In fact, one of them is helping me get a teaching job in China right this moment... but that's a story for another time.

Anyway, one woman in particular altered my life incredibly. Her name is Joan and even though we haven't been in contact in months, I owe a lot of my positivity and perseverance to her. If she ever reads this, I hope that she knows how amazing she is and I wish her all the best no matter where she is or what she is doing. She introduced me to two things that I hold very close to me, and are with me each day.


One of them is a book called "A Guide for the Advanced Soul", which is a self proclaimed book of insight. It states on the front, "hold a problem in your mind. Open this book to any page and there will be your answer". Now, what is so interesting about this book is that there aren't any chapters, no page numbers, and it's story is one of your own life. There are different quotes and passages on each page... and it's rare to ever open to the same page twice. When I've been really stuck or couldn't find any answers of my own, I've thought about what's been on my mind and turned to a page for some advice. I can honestly say, that for me, this has worked 100% of the time. Obviously, it's how well you can relate almost anything to your own situation and your personal investment in this kind of thing. But nonetheless, I've treasured this book and it's been with me on every part of this journey. I've shared it with countless people and although some are hesitant at first and think it's pretty silly, it's proven to be a source of comfort.


The other amazing, day-to-day, reminder of Joan that I have is actually in forms of emails that I get sent to me by "The Universe". Now don't freak out, I completely understand that the cosmic universe doesn't have a gmail account and a password... but there is a website (www.tut.com) that is focused on pursuing dreams, happiness, and life goals. It's a "club of adventurers" and I'm signed up for "Notes from The Universe". So a couple times a week I get a quick email with advice and encouraging words... some that have applied directly to my life at the time, and some that I've had to think about for a while until I really understood their meaning. I hooked Patty into signing up as well, and usually forward the notes to some of my friends a couple times a week.

In fact, I was about to get off the computer when I received one of my weekly emails. And the note that I got was so simple, so blunt, and so true that I felt like I had to share it with someone. This was the inspiration for my blog today... and just another reminder of how meeting one person, pushing yourself to do something different even if it's not convenient, or just changing something from your day-to-day lifestyle can have such a profound effect. I must admit, I believe that I was predisposed to these types of "life messages" or whatever you want to call them because my Mom believes so much in "the power of positive thinking". Hopefully you all can open your minds, your email account, or another tab to Amazon.com and take a peek into the book and/or site. I promise it won't be a waste of time.

As an example, I'll leave you with this...

All that you need to have all that you want, Emily, will be provided, as if by magic, once you know what you want and do something about it every day.

No matter what,
    The Universe

No comments:

Post a Comment